Friday 2 December 2016

Soyinka fulfills his promise, threw away his green card and returned to Nigeria

Prof. Wole Soyinka, at an education conference held at the University of Johannesburg, South Africa, revealed that he has disengaged himself from the United States.

His action was in fulfillment of his pledge to cut his US green card and leave the country if Donald Trump, wins the presidential election.
Following the emergence of Trump as the next United States president, 82 year old Soyinka, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986 and had been a regular lecturer at some US Universities including the prestigious Harvard University, decided to throw away his green card and relocate to Nigeria.
“I have already done it, I have disengaged (from the United States). I have done what I said I would do,” Soyinka said.“I had a horror of what is to come with Trump… I threw away the (green) card, and I have relocated, and I’m back to where I have always been” he added
He however noted that he would not discourage anyone who wishes to apply for a US green card, adding that it is useful in many ways.
“It’s useful in many ways. I wouldn’t for one single moment discourage any Nigerians or anybody from acquiring a green card… but I have had enough of it,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment